National Parks Subcommittee Hearing on Pending Legislation
September 21, 2022
366 Dirksen Senate Office Building
The hearing will be held on Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 10:30 a.m. in Room 366 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building in Washington, DC.
The purpose of this hearing is to receive testimony on the following bills:
- S.J. Res.57, A joint resolution redesignating the Robert E. Lee Memorial in Arlington National Cemetery as the “Arlington House National Historic Site”;
- S. 305, to establish the Springfield Race Riot National Monument in the State of Illinois, and for other purposes;
- S. 1211, to establish the Cahokia Mounds Mississippian Culture National Historical Park in Collinsville, Illinois, Monroe, Madison, and St. Clair Counties, Illinois, and St. Louis City County, Missouri, and for other purposes;
- S. 3447, to authorize the National Service Animals Monument Corporation to establish a commemorative work in the District of Columbia and its environs, and for other purposes;
- S. 3579, to authorize the Embassy of France in Washington, DC, to establish a commemorative work in the District of Columbia and its environs to honor the extraordinary contributions of Jean Monnet to restoring peace between European nations and establishing the European Union, and for other purposes;
- S. 3873, to designate the outdoor amphitheater at the Blue Ridge Music Center in Galax, Virginia, as the “Rick Boucher Amphitheater”;
- S. 4122, to amend the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act to designate certain segments of the Housatonic River in the State of Connecticut as components of the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System, and for other purposes;
- S. 4168, to amend title 54, United States Code, to reauthorize the National Park Foundation;
- S. 4222, to establish the St. Croix National Heritage Area, and for other purposes;
- S. 4371, to establish the César E. Chávez and the Farmworker Movement National Historical Park in the States of California and Arizona, and for other purposes;
- S. 4377 / H.R. 4380, to designate the El Paso Community Healing Garden National Memorial, and for other purposes;
- S. 4464/H.R. 1908, to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a study to assess the suitability and feasibility of designating certain land as the Kaena Point National Heritage Area, and for other purposes;
- S. 4693, to amend the National Trails System Act to include national discovery trails and designate the American Discovery Trail, and for other purposes;
- S. 4784, to modify the boundary of the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument in the State of Maine, to improve public access to the National Monument, and for other purposes.
The Committee will follow guidelines developed in consultation with the Office of the Attending Physician and the Senate Rules Committee to protect the health of members, staff, and the public.
The hearing will be webcast live on the Committee’s website, and an archived video will be available shortly after the hearing concludes. Witness testimony will be available on the website at the start of the hearing.
If you are having trouble viewing this hearing, please try the following steps:
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
Senator Angus KingSubcommittee ChairNational Parks Subcommittee
Senator Steve DainesSubcommittee Ranking MemberNational Parks Subcommittee
Witness Panel 1
Mr. Michael A. CaldwellAssociate Director for Park Planning, Facilities, and LandsNational Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
Mr. Will ShafrothPresident and CEONational Park Foundation
Mr. Steven RichardsonVice PresidentFriends of Katahdin Woods and Waters
Senator Alex PadillaSenatorUnited States Senate