The hearing will be held on Thursday, September 29, 2022, at 10:00 am in Room SD-366 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building in Washington, DC.
The purpose of this hearing is to receive testimony on the following bills:
- S. 4729, to amend the Agricultural Credit Act of 1978 to waive the cost share requirement under the emergency forest restoration program for land damaged by the Hermit's Peak/Calf Canyon Fire (Hermit’s Peak/Calf Canyon Fire Forest Restoration Program Relief Act);
- S. 4833, to improve the health and resiliency of giant sequoias, and for other purposes (Save Our Sequoias Act);
- S. 4835, to provide for the removal of small-diameter trees in fire hazard areas, and for other purposes (Small-Diameter Timber and Underutilized Material Act of 2022);
- S. 4837, to amend the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009 to establish within the Mount Hood National Forest in the State of Oregon Indian Treaty Resources Emphasis Zones, and for other purposes;
- S. 4877, to amend Public Law 91–378 to authorize activities relating to Civilian Conservation Centers, and for other purposes (Civilian Conservation Center Enhancement Act of 2022);
- S. 4884, to require the Secretary of the Interior, in coordination with the Secretary of Agriculture, to establish a joint natural infrastructure science program, and for other purposes (Natural Infrastructure Act of 2022);
- S. 4891, to amend the Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 to authorize certain construction activities on public lands, and for other purposes;
- S. 4904, to address the forest health crisis on the National Forest System and public lands, and for other purposes (Promoting Effective Forest Management Act of 2022);
- S. 4935, to require the Secretary of the Interior and the Secretary of Agriculture to implement measures to better prepare for and more quickly respond to wildfires on certain public land and in certain National Forests (More Hasty Response to Firefighting Act of 2022);
- S. 4942, to amend the Southwest Forest Health and Wildfire Prevention Act of 2004 to require the establishment of an additional Institute under that Act (Watershed Restoration Initiative Act of 2022);
- S. 4944, to provide for the operation and establishment of, and procurement of supplies for, firewood banks, and for other purposes (Firewood Banks Act of 2022); and
- S. 4945, to require the Secretary of Agriculture to establish a pilot program for the establishment and use of a pre-fire-suppression stand density index, and for other purposes (Catastrophic Wildfire Prevention Act of 2022).
The committee will follow guidelines developed in consultation with the Office of the Attending Physician and the Senate Rules Committee to protect the health of members, staff, and the public.
The hearing will be webcast live on the committee’s website, and an archived video will be available shortly after the business meeting concludes.
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
Senator Joe ManchinChairSenate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
Senator John BarrassoRanking MemberSenate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
Witness Panel 1
Mr. John CrockettAssociate Deputy Chief, State and Private ForestryUSDA Forest Service
Mr. Jeff RupertDirector, Office of Wildland FireU.S. Department of the Interior
Mr. James W. HourdequinCEOThe Lyme Timber Company
Mr. Patrick O'ToolePresidentFamily Farm Alliance