Public Lands, Forests, & Mining Subcommittee Legislative Hearing
June 16, 2021
366 Dirksen Senate Office Building
The hearing will be held on Wednesday, June 16, 2021, at 3:00 pm in Room 366 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building in Washington, DC.
The purpose of this hearing is to receive testimony on the following bills:
- S. 173, a bill to provide for the designation of certain wilderness areas, recreation management areas, and conservation areas in the State of Colorado, and for other purposes.
- S. 177, a bill to amend the John D. Dingell, Jr. Conservation, Management, and Recreation Act to establish the Cerro de la Olla Wilderness in the Río Grande del Norte National Monument and to modify the boundary of the Río Grande del Norte National Monument.
- S. 182, a bill to withdraw certain Federal land in the Pecos Watershed area of the State of New Mexico from mineral entry, and for other purposes.
- S. 455, a bill to designate and expand wilderness areas in Olympic National Forest in the State of Washington, and to designate certain rivers in Olympic National Forest and Olympic National Park as wild and scenic rivers, and for other purposes.
- S.554, a bill to require the Secretary of Agriculture to conduct a study on the establishment of, and the potential land that could be included in, a unit of the National Forest System in the State of Hawaii, and for other purposes.
- S. 567, a bill to provide for conservation and economic development in the State of Nevada, and for other purposes.
- S. 569, a bill to direct the Secretary of Agriculture to transfer certain National Forest System land to the State of South Dakota, and for other purposes.
- S. 609, a bill to withdraw the National Forest System land in the Ruby Mountains subdistrict of the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest and the National Wildlife Refuge System land in Ruby Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Elko and White Pine Counties, Nevada, from operation under the mineral leasing laws.
- S. 904, a bill to require the Secretary of the Interior, the Secretary of Agriculture, and the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil Works to digitize and make publicly available geographic information system mapping data relating to public access to Federal land and waters for outdoor recreation, and for other purposes.
- S. 1008, a bill to require the Secretary of the Interior to develop a modeling tool, conduct a study, and issue reports relating to the tax equivalent amount of payments under the payment in lieu of taxes program.
- S. 1076, a bill to amend the Energy Policy Act of 2005 to require the Secretary of the Interior to establish a program to plug, remediate, and reclaim orphaned oil and gas wells and surrounding land, to provide funds to State and Tribal governments to plug, remediate, and reclaim orphaned oil and gas wells and surrounding land, and for other purposes.
- S. 1128, a bill to provide for the continuation of higher education through the conveyance to the University of Alaska of certain public land in the State of Alaska, and for other purposes.
- S. 1222, a bill to designate and adjust certain lands in the State of Utah as components of the National Wilderness System, and for other purposes.
- S. 1686, a bill to amend the Wilderness Act to allow local Federal officials to determine the manner in which nonmotorized uses may be permitted in wilderness areas, and for other purposes.
The Committee will follow guidelines developed in consultation with the Office of the Attending Physician and the Senate Rules Committee to protect the health of members, staff, and the public. Pursuant to this guidance, Senate office buildings are not open to the public other than official business visitors and credentialed press at this time. Accordingly, in-person visitors cannot be accommodated at this hearing.
If you are having trouble viewing this hearing, please try the following steps:
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
Witness Panel 1
The Honorable Patty MurrayUnited States Senator (D-WA)
The Honorable Kevin CramerUnited States Senator (R-ND)
The Honorable Ben Ray LujanUnited States Senator (D-NM)
The Honorable Michael F. BennetUnited States Senator (D-CO)
The Honorable Mitt RomneyUnited States Senator (R-UT)
Witness Panel 2
Ms. Nada CulverDeputy Director of Policy and ProgramsBureau of Land Management
The Honorable Keven StrattonMemberUtah House of Representatives
Mr. Chris FrenchDeputy Chief, National Forest SystemU.S. Forest Service
Ms. Pat PitneyInterim PresidentUniversity of Alaska
Ms. Marci HensonDirectorClark County (NV) Department of Environment and Sustainability
Ms. Jocelyn TorresSenior Field DirectorConservation Lands Foundation