National Parks Subcommittee Legislative Hearing
The hearing will be held on Wednesday, June 23, 2021, at 10:00 am in Room 366 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building in Washington, DC.
The purpose of this hearing is to receive testimony on the following bills:
- S. 31, to limit the establishment or extension of national monuments in the State of Utah;
- S. 172, to authorize the National Medal of Honor Museum Foundation to establish a commemorative work in the District of Columbia and its environs, and for other purposes;
- S. 192, to amend the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act to designate certain river segments in the State of Oregon as components of the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System, and for other purposes;
- S. 270, to amend the Act entitled “Act to provide for the establishment of the Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site in the State of Kansas, and for other purposes” to provide for inclusion of additional related sites in the National Park System, and for other purposes;
- S. 491, to amend the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act to designate certain river segments in the York River watershed in the State of Maine as components of the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System, and for other purposes;
- S. 535, to authorize the location of a memorial on the National Mall to commemorate and honor the members of the Armed Forces that served on active duty in support of the Global War on Terrorism, and for other purposes;
- S. 753, to reauthorize the Highlands Conservation Act, to authorize States to use funds from that Act for administrative purposes, and for other purposes;
- S. 1317, to modify the boundary of the Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument in the State of Arizona, and for other purposes;
- S. 1320, to establish the Chiricahua National Park in the State of Arizona as a unit of the National Park System, and for other purposes;
- S. 1321, to modify the boundary of the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument, and for other purposes;
- S. 1354, to amend the National Trails System Act to designate the Chilkoot National Historic Trail and to provide for a study of the Alaska Long Trail, and for other purposes;
- S. 1526, to authorize the use of off-highway vehicles in certain areas of the Capitol Reef National Park, Utah;
- S. 1527, to amend title 54, United States Code, to provide that State law shall apply to the use of motor vehicles on roads within a System unit;
- S. 1769, to adjust the boundary of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area to include the Rim of the Valley Corridor, and for other purposes; and
- S. 1771, to authorize reference to the museum located at Blytheville/Eaker Air Force Base in Blytheville, Arkansas, as the “National Cold War Center.”
The Committee will follow guidelines developed in consultation with the Office of the Attending Physician and the Senate Rules Committee to protect the health of members, staff, and the public. Pursuant to this guidance, Senate office buildings are not open to the public other than official business visitors and credentialed press at this time. Accordingly, in-person visitors cannot be accommodated at this hearing.
The hearing will be webcast live on the committee’s website, and an archived video will be available shortly after the hearing concludes. Witness testimony will be available on the website at the start of the hearing.
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
Witness Panel 1
The Honorable Joni ErnstUnited States Senate (R-IA)
The Honorable Jared GoldenU.S. House of Representatives (D-ME)
Witness Panel 2
Mr. Michael A. CaldwellActing Associate Director, Park Planning, Facilities, and LandsNational Park Service
Ms. Jennifer EberlienAssociate Deputy ChiefNational Forest System, U.S. Department of Agriculture
Ms. Jennifer HunterCoordinatorYork River Wild and Scenic Study
Ms. Andrea MalmbergUnion, Oregon