U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, introduced a group of 17 legislative proposals to modernize America’s energy policies. These proposals range from increasing the use of renewable energy to the continued operation of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.
The proposals are being introduced in advance of legislative hearings related to broad energy legislation that Murkowski, chairman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, is working to report out of the committee this summer.
“America’s energy landscape has undergone a dramatic change since Congress last acted on comprehensive energy legislation. Our domestic energy supply has gone from scarce to abundant,” Murkowski said. “Our energy renaissance underscores the need to modernize America’s energy policies. These targeted bills are an important step toward ensuring economic growth and improving American’s standard of living of living.”
The committee is holding legislative hearings over the coming weeks on the three remaining titles – infrastructure, supply, and accountability – of a broad energy bill being assembled by Chairman Murkowski in consultation with the bipartisan membership of the committee. The three remaining legislative hearings follow the committee’s April 30 hearing on energy efficiency.
Murkowski introduced the following proposals in advance of legislative hearings:
- S. 1215, Methane Hydrate R&D Amendments Act
- S. 1216, De Novo Review of Civil Penalties under the Natural Gas Act
- S. 1217, Electric Transmission Infrastructure Permitting Improvement Act
- S. 1218, Nexus of Energy and Water for Sustainability (NEWS) Act
- S. 1219, Interconnecting Distributed Resources and Examining Net Metering
- S. 1220, Energy Distribution Act
- S. 1221, Bulk-Power System Reliability Impact Statement Act
- S. 1222, Continuity of Electric Capacity Resources Act
- S. 1223, Energy Loan Program Improvement Act
- S. 1224, The Condensate Act
- S. 1225, Federal Land Asset Inventory Reform (FLAIR) Act
- S. 1226, American Helium Production Act
- S. 1227, Micro-Grid Implementation Strategy
- S. 1229, Improving DOE Interaction with the National Laboratories
- S. 1230, Memoranda of Understanding with State Oil and Gas Programs
- S. 1231, Strategic Petroleum Reserve Modernization Act
- S. 1236, Hydropower Improvement Act
Visit the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee website for more information.