February 14, 2013
Official Short Title: Wood-Pawcatuck Watershed Protection Act
Sponsors: Mr. Reed, Mr. Blumenthal, Mr. Whitehouse, and Mr. Murphy.
- February 14, 2013.--Introduced.
- April 23, 2013.--Hearing on Subcommittee on National Parks.
- May 16, 2013. Full committee markup; Ordered to be reported without amendment favorably.
- June 13, 2013.--Committee on the Judiciary. Ordered to be reported with an amendment in the nature of a substitute favorably.
- June 27, 2013.--Reported to Senate without an amendment. S. Rept. 113-60.
- June 27, 2013.--Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar [Calendar No. 114].
S 349 IS
Mr. REED (for himself, Mr. BLUMENTHAL, Mr. WHITEHOUSE, and Mr. MURPHY) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
- This Act may be cited as the `Wood-Pawcatuck Watershed Protection Act'.
SEC. 2. BEAVER, CHIPUXET, QUEEN, WOOD, AND PAWCATUCK RIVERS STUDY.
- (a) Designation for Study- Section 5(a) of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act (16 U.S.C. 1276(a)) is amended by adding at the end the following:
- `(141) BEAVER, CHIPUXET, QUEEN, WOOD, AND PAWCATUCK RIVERS, RHODE ISLAND AND CONNECTICUT- The following segments:
- `(A) The approximately 10-mile segment of the Beaver River from the headwaters in Exeter, Rhode Island, to the confluence with the Pawcatuck River.
- `(B) The approximately 5-mile segment of the Chipuxet River from Hundred Acre Pond to the outlet into Worden Pond.
- `(C) The approximately 10-mile segment of the upper Queen River from the headwaters to the Usquepaugh Dam in South Kingstown, Rhode Island, including all tributaries of the upper Queen River.
- `(D) The approximately 5-mile segment of the lower Queen (Usquepaugh) River from the Usquepaugh Dam to the confluence with the Pawcatuck River.
- `(E) The approximately 11-mile segment of the upper Wood River from the headwaters to Skunk Hill Road in Richmond and Hopkinton, Rhode Island, including all tributaries of the upper Wood River.
- `(F) The approximately 10-mile segment of the lower Wood River from Skunk Hill Road to the confluence with the Pawcatuck River.
- `(G) The approximately 28-mile segment of the Pawcatuck River from Worden Pond to Nooseneck Hill Road (Rhode Island Rte 3) in Hopkinton and Westerly, Rhode Island.
- `(H) The approximately 7-mile segment of the lower Pawcatuck River from Nooseneck Hill Road to Pawcatuck Rock, Stonington, Connecticut, and Westerly, Rhode Island.'.
- (b) Study and Report- Section 5(b) of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act (16 U.S.C. 1276(b)) is amended by adding at the end the following:
- `(20) BEAVER, CHIPUXET, QUEEN, WOOD, AND PAWCATUCK RIVERS, RHODE ISLAND AND CONNECTICUT- Not later than 3 years after the date on which funds are made available to carry out this paragraph, the Secretary of the Interior shall--
- `(A) complete the study of the Beaver, Chipuxet, Queen, Wood, and Pawcatuck Rivers, Rhode Island and Connecticut, described in subsection (a)(141); and
- `(B) submit to the appropriate committees of Congress a report that describes the results of the study.'.