The hearing will be held on Wednesday, June 21, 2023, at 10:30 am in Room 366 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building in Washington, DC.
The purpose of this hearing is to receive testimony on the following bills:
- S. 284, to direct the Secretary of the Interior to include on the engravings on the Taras Shevchenko Memorial in the District of Columbia the name of Vincent Illuzzi, Sr., who carved the statue;
- S. 351, to designate 6 creeks in the State of North Carolina in honor of the lives lost in a plane crash in Carteret County, North Carolina, on February 13, 2022, and for other purposes;
- S. 384, to establish the Springfield 1908 Race Riot National Monument in the State of Illinois, and for other purposes;
- S. 432, to amend the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act to designate the Nulhegan River and Paul Stream in the State of Vermont for potential addition to the national wild and scenic rivers system, and for other purposes;
- S. 507, to establish the Ralph David Abernathy, Sr., National Historic Site, and for other purposes;
- S. 527, to establish the African Burial Ground International Memorial Museum and Educational Center in New York, New York, and for other purposes;
- S. 562, to establish the Emmett Till and Mamie Till-Mobley and Roberts Temple National Historic Site in the State of Illinois, and for other purposes;
- S. 594, to require the Secretary of Agriculture and the Secretary of the Interior to prioritize the completion of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail, and for other purposes;
- S. 608, to amend the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act to direct the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a study of the Deerfield River for potential addition to the national wild and scenic rivers system, and for other purposes;
- S. 886, to authorize the location of a monument on the National Mall to commemorate and honor the women's suffrage movement and the passage of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, and for other purposes;
- S. 924, to amend the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Development Act to extend the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park Commission;
- S. 961, to redesignate the Salem Maritime National Historic Site in Salem, Massachusetts, as the "Salem Maritime National Historic Park", and for other purposes;
- S. 1059, to adjust the boundary of Big Bend National Park in the State of Texas, and for other purposes;
- S. 1097, to establish the Cesar E. Chavez and the Farmworker Movement National Historical Park in the States of California and Arizona, and for other purposes;
- S. 1277, to modify the boundary of the Mammoth Cave National Park in the State of Kentucky, and for other purposes.
- S. 2018, to require the Secretary of the Interior to conduct an assessment to identify locations in National Parks in which there is the greatest need for broadband internet access service and areas in National Parks in which there is the greatest need for cellular service, and for other purposes.
The hearing will be webcast live on the committee’s website, and an archived video will be available shortly after the business meeting concludes.
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
Sen. Angus KingSubcommittee ChairNational Parks Subcommittee
Sen. Steve DainesSubcommittee Ranking MemberNational Parks Subcommittee
Witness Panel 1
Mr. Michael A. CaldwellAssociate Director, Park Planning, Facilities, and LandsNational Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior