The subcommittee hearing will be held on Wednesday, August 15, 2018, at 4:00 p.m. EDT in Room 366 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building in Washington, DC.
The purpose of this hearing is to receive testimony on the following bills:
- S. 599 (Donnelly) / H.R. 1488 (Visclosky), to redesignate the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore as the `Indiana Dunes National Park', and for other purposes;
- S. 1644 (Cardin), to clarify the status of the Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail as a unit of the National Park System;
- S. 1926 (Harris) / H.R. 2156 (Knight), to provide for the establishment of a national memorial and national monument to commemorate those killed by the collapse of the Saint Francis Dam on March 12, 1928, and for other purposes;
- S. 1987 (Grassley) / H.R. 2600 (Young), to provide for the conveyance to the State of Iowa of the reversionary interest held by the United States in and to certain land in Pottawattamie County, Iowa, and to express the sense of Congress relating to the continued provision of information relating to certain national historic trails;
- S. 1993 (Feinstein), to adjust the boundary of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area to include the Rim of the Valley Corridor, and for other purposes;
- S. 2015 (Baldwin), to clarify the status of the North Country, Ice Age, and New England National Scenic Trails as units of the National Park System, and for other purposes;
- S. 2441 (Casey), to amend the Steel Industry American Heritage Area Act of 1996 to repeal the funding limitation;
- S. 2570 (Markey), to repeal the funding authorization sunset and the total funding cap for the Essex National Heritage Area;
- S. 2604 (Casey), to amend the Oil Region National Heritage Area Act to reauthorize the Oil Region National Heritage Area, and for other purposes;
- S. 2672 (Moran), to authorize the Society of the First Infantry Division to make modifications to the First Division Monument located on Federal land in President's Park in Washington, DC, and for other purposes;
- S. 2870 (Gardner), to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a special resource study of the site known as `Amache' in the State of Colorado;
- S. 2876 (Bennet), to amend the National Trails System Act to provide for the study of the Pike National Historic Trail;
- S. 2889 (Wicker) / H.R. 4895 (Thompson), to establish the Medgar Evers National Monument in the State of Mississippi, and for other purposes;
- S. 2831 (Hatch) / H.R. 5751 (Bishop), to redesignate Golden Spike National Historic Site and to establish the Transcontinental Railroad Network;
- S. 3176 (McConnell) / H.R. 5979 (Rogers), to establish the Mill Springs Battlefield National Monument in the State of Kentucky as a unit of the National Park System, and for other purposes;
- S. 3287 (McConnell) / H.R. 5655 (Barr), to establish the Camp Nelson Heritage National Monument in the State of Kentucky as a unit of the National Park System, and for other purposes;
- S. 3298 (Daines), to extend the authority of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund, Inc. to establish a visitor center for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial; and
- H.Con. Res. 33 (Goodlatte), designating the George C. Marshall Museum and George C. Marshall Research Library in Lexington, Virginia, as the National George C. Marshall Museum and Library.
The hearing will be webcast live on the committee’s website, and an archived video will be available shortly after the hearing is complete. Witness testimony will be available on the website at the start of the hearing.
- Clear your browser's cache - Guide to clearing browser cache
- Close and re-open your browser
- If the above two steps do not help, please try another browser. Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge have the highest level of compatibility with our player.
Sen. Steve DainesSubcommittee ChairmanSubcommittee on National Parks
Sen. Angus King, Jr.Subcommittee Ranking MemberSubcommittee on National Parks
Witness Panel 1
Mr. P. Daniel SmithDeputy DirectorNational Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior