Official Short: Green Mountain Lookout Heritage Protection Act
Long Title: To preserve the Green Mountain Lookout in the Glacier Peak Wilderness of the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest.
Sponsors: Mrs. Murray and Ms. Cantwell.
- February 28, 2013.--Introduced.
- July 30, 2013.--Hearing by Subcommittee
- December 19, 2013.--Ordered to be reported with an amendment favorably.
S 404 IS
Mrs. MURRAY (for herself and Ms. CANTWELL) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
- This Act may be cited as the `Green Mountain Lookout Heritage Protection Act'.
SEC. 2. CLARIFICATION OF LEGAL AUTHORITY OF GREEN MOUNTAIN LOOKOUT.
- (a) Legal Authority of Lookout- Section 4(b) of the Washington State Wilderness Act of 1984 (Public Law 98-339; 98 Stat. 300; 16 U.S.C. 1131 note) is amended by striking the period at the end and inserting the following: `, and except that with respect to the lands described in section 3(5), the designation of such lands as a wilderness area shall not preclude the operation and maintenance of Green Mountain Lookout.'
- (b) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall take effect as if included in the enactment of the Washington State Wilderness Act of 1984.
SEC. 3. PRESERVATION OF GREEN MOUNTAIN LOOKOUT LOCATION.
- The Secretary of Agriculture, acting through the Chief of the Forest Service, may not move Green Mountain Lookout from its current location on Green Mountain in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest unless the Secretary determines that moving Green Mountain Lookout is necessary to preserve the Lookout or to ensure the safety of individuals on or around Green Mountain. If the Secretary makes such a determination, the Secretary shall move the Green Mountain Lookout to a location outside of the lands described in section 3(5) of the Washington State Wilderness Act of 1984 and designated as a wilderness area in section 4(b) of such Act.