Official Short: Southeast Alaska Native Land Conveyance Act
Long Title: To provide for the partial settlement of certain claims under the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act
Sponsors: Ms. Murkowski, Mr. BegichSTATUS:
- Introduced: 02/26/2013
S 14 IS
Ms. MURKOWSKI (for herself and Mr. BEGICH) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
- This Act may be cited as the `Southeast Alaska Native Land Conveyance Act'.
SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS.
- In this Act:
- (1) MAPS- The term `maps' means the maps entitled `Sealaska Land Entitlement Finalization', numbered 5 and 9 of 17, and dated October 17, 2012.
- (2) SEALASKA- The term `Sealaska' means the Sealaska Corporation, a Regional Native Corporation established under the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (43 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.).
- (3) SECRETARY- The term `Secretary' means the Secretary of the Interior.
- (4) STATE- The term `State' means the State of Alaska.
SEC. 3. SOUTHEAST ALASKA PARTIAL NATIVE LAND CONVEYANCE.
- (a) In General- Not later than 60 days after the date of enactment of this Act and subject to valid existing rights and subsection (b), the Secretary shall convey to Sealaska the 2 parcels of Federal land comprising approximately 3,380 acres, as generally depicted on the maps, in partial fulfillment of the remaining land entitlement of Sealaska under section 14(h)(8) of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (43 U.S.C. 1613(h)(8)).
- (b) Public Easements- The conveyance under subsection (a) shall be subject to the condition that the Secretary identify and reserve, by the date that is 2 years after the date of enactment of this Act, public easements under section 17(b) of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (43 U.S.C. 1616(b); 85 Stat. 708) with respect to the Federal land conveyed under subsection (a).
- (c) Treatment of Land Conveyed- The Federal land conveyed to Sealaska under subsection (a) shall be considered to be land conveyed by the Secretary under section 14(h)(8) of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (43 U.S.C. 1613(h)(8)).